We are continuously looking to improve our health and well being through workouts, diets, supplements and meditation. In recent times, there has been a lot of focus not only on new ways for overall betterment but also on existing, and mostly old ways employed by our ancestors. Many of these existing methods, modes, ingredients come from around the globe and some are found just around us, packaged differently. One ingredient that has been talked about a lot, for good and bad, has been the oils we use.
Be it for cooking, application on skin and hair or for medication, oils are present everywhere. Rice Bran Oil, Olive Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Amla Oil- the list is endless, with each oil carrying its own set of health benefits. One such oil, that not only has a multitude of health benefits but also has multiple application, is Walnut Oil.
Derived from walnuts by cold pressing techniques, walnut oil is easily available in the markets yet many people are unaware of this wonderful oil. Like walnut, walnut oil is also an expensive oil but its benefits will definitely justify the cost. Here are some of the prime benefits and applications of Walnut Oil :
- Reduces Signs of Aging: Loaded with antioxidants and essential vitamins like Vitamin B and Vitamin E, Walnut Oil can help in reducing fine lines and wrinkles, thus reducing the impact of aging on skin. It can be directly applied on the face or used in face packs with yoghurt, honey or oatmeal. It can also help in reducing dark circles.
- Prevents Hair Oil – The fatty acids along with Vitamin E can hydrate our hair follicles, leading to healthy hair. The potassium found in Walnut Oil can increase the blood flow in the scalp, leading to prevention of hair loss.
- Reduces heart risks- Loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids, walnut oil can help reduce the heart related diseases. It is a great source of essential fatty acids and vitamins for vegetarians.
- Manage Psoriasis- Due to immense hydration properties and presence of essential minerals, walnut oil can help in the management of this chronic autoimmune disease.
- Aids better sleep- High content of melatonin, the natural sleep inducing chemical found in brains, found in walnut oil can help you sleep better. It also helps reduce the effects of stress.
Apart from these benefits, walnut oil can help reduce migraine attacks, promote better bone health, improve brain function and gut health, fight inflammation, help in diabetes and weight management and improve male fertility. Walnut oil offers all the goodness of walnuts without the density of the nuts themselves that leads to high calories. It should be stored away from light and used moderately in diets for gaining the maximum benefits of this oil.