Gone are the times when Indian sports arena was dominated by men. Past few years have seen a surge in Indian women making their mark in sports internationally, proving their mettle. Here are some of the top performing Indian women in sports you should know:
- Hima Das- One of the most successful sprinters the country has produced, Hima Das hails from Assam and is just 19 years old. She has already won five gold in her career so far in international games including a gold at the 2018 Asian Games. She was awarded the prestigious Arjuna Award in 2018 for her stellar performances.
- Mithali Raj- Brining a very male dominated game like cricket to the forefront is the captain of the Indian Women Cricket Team, Mithali Raj. At 36 years, she has captained the team in two World Cups and is regarded as one of the greatest batswomen of all times. She was awarded the Padma Shri in 2015.
- Vinesh Phogat- Made popular by the movie ‘Dangal’, the phogat sisters are well known for their wrestling successes. Vinesh is third in line and became the first female wrestler from India to have gold in both Commonwealth as well as Aisan Games.
- Manika Batra- A top ranking female table tennis player, Manika Batra led the Indian women’s team to victory in 2018 Commonwealth games. She has already proved her calibre in 2015 Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships and 2016 South Asian Games.
- Dutee Chand- She has been in news recetnly for being the first Indian athelete to confess being in a same-sex relationship but there is more to her than just that news. Dutee has given stellar performances in 2018 Asian Games winning two silver medals and is the women Indian women sprinter to have won a gold in Universiade.