Let us admit this. We do not want to get old, look old and feel old. But getting older is one of the harshest truths of life. The global anti-ageing market grew at a compound annual growth rate of 7.8% between the year 2013 and 2019. People, men and women alike, are spending huge sums on botox, expensive creams and treatments to keep looking younger. But incorporating a few lifestyle changes can help you achieve just that. Here is a list of do’s for basking in youthfulness for longer:
- Stay hydrated: Celebrities, skin care experts and doctors keep emphasizing this simple trick to drink lots of water for better health and skin. Dehydrating leads to foggy thinking, constipation, fatigue that ultimately show up as signs of ageing. Aim for at least eight glasses of water per day.
- Keep your brain agile and active: Research as shown that brain shrinks by five percent every decade after the age of 40. But regular physical exercises like aerobics can help in maintaining the agility of the brain. Regular exercise also prevents age-related disorders like Alzheimer’s and dementia. Incorporate any mental stimulating activity in your daily routine to keep the brain active even as you age. It has been proven through research that brainy activities stimulate new connections between nerve cells. This may also help in formulation of new brain cells. Solve maths puzzles, Sudoku and also indulge in activities like painting drawing and crafts to keep the brain engaged.
- Eat Omega -3 fatty acids: Omega-3 rich foods like flaxseeds and fish contain nutrients that are important components of the membranes that surround each cell in human body. These nutrients enhance brain functioning, repair cell membranes, decrease inflammation and aid with stress management.
- Focus on B vitamins: All B vitamins such as Folate, B6 and B 12 are good supporters of cognitive functions and other protective measures. Include fruits, vegetables, fortified grains, beans, animal products like poultry, fish, and meat in your diet to cater to your Vitamin B requirements.
- Gorge on anti-ageing food- Certain foods have been proven to contain anti-ageing benefits. Blueberries are known to fight Alzheimer’s disease and mushrooms are packed with two very powerful antioxidants- ergothioneine and glutathione which fight diseases like Parkinsons and Alzheimer’s. Avocado, walnuts, broccoli and watercress are other superfoods for anti-ageing.
- Do not forget Vitamin D: Vitamin D also called the “sunshine” vitamin is very important for the immune system as well as for bone and heart health. Spend a few minutes in the sun everyday and take supplement if needed to fulfil your requirement of Vitamin D.
- Think positive: Negative thoughts prompt stress hormone and make you look older than your age. The power and importance of positive thoughts and attitude cannot be emphasized enough. It dictates the way you feel and look. Remaining calm, composed and filled with happy and positive thoughts is a sure way to live longer and preserving youth.