Are you suffering from a sore and scratchy throat? If you prefer traditional medicine, then these age-old cures would surely help soothe your sore throat. Before we get started, it’s important to note that a sore and scratchy throat starts because of your body’s immune response to bacterial or viral infections. The immune system responds with the inflammation and swelling of the throat’s mucous membranes. You will face difficulty in swallowing, experience pain and develop a hoarse voice and red tonsils. If it continues for more than a week, you need to seek medical assistance without fail.
When the first symptoms start, you can try out these home remedies to soothe your sore throat:
1. Ginger Tea: Ginger contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that can relieve throat pain very quickly. Simply add a bit of ginger to your cup or milk or add grated ginger into boiling water to soak. You can add some honey to make it a little tastier.
2. Turmeric Milk: Drink one cup of milk, boiled with half a teaspoon of turmeric to improve your condition. Adding ghee will coat your throat by melting, further relieving you of the sore throat.
3. Ginger, Cinnamon and Licorice Tea: Take two parts cinnamon, two parts ginger and three parts of licorice (also known as mulethi) and add mix them all together. Add one teaspoon of the mixture to a glass of water every 5 to 10 minutes and drink this about two to three times a day.
4. Chamomile Tea: The healing properties of chamomile have been used for medical purposes for a very long time. It promotes restful sleep and can keep away aggressive coughing bouts at night. It has both antiviral and antibacterial properties and can fight against infections. It is also a painkiller of sorts. Drinking chamomile tea once during the day can relieve your cough and drinking it once during the night can give you good sleep at night when you’re suffering from a sore throat which might otherwise keep you up.
5. Peppermint Tea: With its anti-inflammatory compounds, peppermint can soothe your sore throat to a great extent. It numbs the throat slightly and relieves pain and scratchiness. You can add fresh leaves of peppermint to boiling water and let it boil for around five minutes. Strain off the leaves. This tea will replenish your energy, as well as soothe your sore throat.