Keto Diet is a rage these days as it has helped people experience dramatic weight loss. Apart from weight loss, there are several other benefits of this diet which are largely unheard. To understand these benefits, let’s first discuss what Keto Diet is and what changes it brings to the body.
In Keto Diet, one needs to consume foods that have in a high-fat, moderate-protein and low-carb content. As one starts to follow this diet, the body enters a state of ketosis where the body consumes all the stored glycogen and starts to depend on other sources of energy. The liver then begins to convert fat into ketones that supply the required energy to the body. As such the body chemistry undergoes dramatic changes moving from sugar-based energy to fat based and protein-based energy.
This change leads to several health benefits:
- Controlling Appetite– One of the prime reason for weight loss in Keto Diet is the control of hunger pangs. Cravings become lesser as carbs are reduced from daily diet. Therefore, keto diet followers are easily able to observe intermittent fasting and can control appetite.
- Improved mental focus– Fat as the main body fuel helps regulate sugar levels in the body which rise and fall in a carbohydrate-rich diet. This leads to better mental focus and even has neuroprotective benefits as brain functions better on ketones rather than on sugar. Studies show that Keto Diet can help prevent brain disorders like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
- Reduced inflammation– As the body moves away from carbohydrates and the blood sugar level fluctuations drop, the inflammation caused by them is reduced.Keto Diet is anti-inflammatory as such acne, joint pains, eczema and other inflammation caused effects reduce.
- Maintaining blood pressure and diabetes– Keto Diet promotes intake of ‘good’ fat in the body which helps lower cholesterol levels and maintain blood pressure. Similarly, as the sugar is reduced from the body, diabetes remain under control due to lesser sugar level fluctuations.
- Better energy levels –As blood sugar stabilizers and cravings are reduced, keto diet followers tend to have higher energy levels. Fat is readily available in the body and provides a continuous source of energy.
- Free radicals reduce- Sugar rich food produces more free radicals and reactive oxygen in the body. In contrast, ketones produce less free radicals. Therefore, keto diet can work as antioxidant and reduce damage caused by reactive oxygen.
- Prevent of cancer cell generation– Research studies show that cancer cells cannot use ketones for growth and multiplication. Cancer cells use glucose as their main fuel and when that reduces, it can lead to prevention of further cell generation.
Apart from the benefits listed above, studies have shown several other benefits of keto diet. They include stabilizing hormones, controlling uric acid in body, reducing acid reflux, improving digestion and many more.
Though there are numerous benefits of a ketogenic diet, it is important to take doctor consultation or nutrition expert before proceeding with this diet. As this dramatically alters body chemistry, it is also important to monitor health regularly.